A fissure sealant is a thin, plastic film that is applied to the chewing surfaces of back teeth creating a protective barrier which prevents food and bacteria getting into the teeth.
This safe and painless technique thereby protects children’ teeth and prevents dental decay.
Scientific studies have proven that properly applied sealants are 100% effective in protecting the tooth surface from caries.
- Fissure sealants are safe and effective
- Painless in application and unnoticeable after treatment
- Prevent decay of molars and premolars
- Should last for many years
- Easier to keep clean due to a smoother tooth surface
- Reduce the likelihood of fillings in your child’s mouth
In line with Dr. Rita Rostami practice philosophy on preventative dentistry, all parents are encouraged to elect to have their children’ teeth fissure sealed and/or ozone treated, as appropriate.
We recommend fissure sealant treatment when your child’s first permanent teeth come through, usually at the age of 6-7 years and the remainder of teeth be sealed as they appear thereafter usually between 11-14 years.